Now–let me just state here, i am in NO WAY saying that ANY of the holidays should not be celebrated, yada yada yada. Of course, there will be those that read it that way. And frankly–that will only prove my point.
Let me state upfront that i am not a Christian. I got no beef with Christianity, i am just not a card carrying member. I have discussed my faith a few times here, so I’m not gonna get into it, because frankly–the only thing that matters here is that i am not a Christian. I am a member of the religious minority.
And we all don’t see christmas the same way.
For some, it is a holiday of idyllic innocence and sweet sentimentality. ANd for some, it totally is, and Goddess bless them for it. But let me just lay down how some of us see it.
- It’s a time to be told we are wrong if we don’t celebrate your holiday.
- It’s a time to be proselytized because there is obviously something “Wrong” with us.
- It’s a time to be attacked for what we actually do believe.
- It’s a time to have our holidays compared, and found wanting. And told so. ad nauseum.
- It’s a time to be patronized and pitited–for simply being ourselves, which frankly is insulting.
- It’s a time in which our kids are made examples of publicly as “different”
- It’s a time in which our kids have the rampant materialism of the holiday forced down their, and consequently OUR throats.
- Its a time in which we watch the traditions of OUR holidays taken over and their meanings ignored. (Do YOU know why you have a christmas tree? I do)
- And it’s a time in which we have to listen to a the majority BITCH about how put upon they are that they can’t put their religious symbols everywhere they want, and how difficult it is to be them, and the comparisons about Daniel and lion’s dens arise, and those of us with Yule logs, and Chanukiahs, and Kinaras, who know we are obvious targets for placing them in plain sight have to simply smile and nod and say how horrible it must be to be you.
- And it’s a time to have targets placed upon us if we even utter any of these thoughts.
so, those of you in the majority, who feel there is a “war on Christmas”–look around you. Your holiday is everywhere. And ours is relegated to lawns, token sections at the grocery and light shows, or even hidden away in the privacy of our homes–WHERE IT BELONGS (IMHO)
ANd for those of you who say it is just a secular holiday, well, good for you. Enjoy it.
Yeah–this got a little ranty. But maybe–just maybe–you’ll understand some of the ire that the religious minorities face this time of year. Maybe you’ll understand the demand for a little equity, or to not have your religion shoved down our throat with every tra-la-la. Or at least, maybe you’ll ask, how do YOU celebrate the season, instead of assuming we do it just like you.
Yeah–this is for the lady who snarkily said “merry Christmas” to me last year in the nastiest voice possible when i didn’t say it back to her the first time she said it.
Happy HOLIDAYS y’all. ALL of them.
Ok–that may have been longer than 5 minutes–but it had a full head of steam and needed to be said. I realize many folk on this linky are in the majority, and may have read me wrong. and i’m ok with that, because as stated before, i’m a little used to it this time of year. But if we live our lives in quiet ignorance, we never grow. Please realize the folks who do not wand a nativity scene in the downtown park don’t hate your religion. They’re just tired of the obvious inequities we face year after year.
and if you’re still offended, you were gonna be anyway. so have fun with that.